12.

The Bronx
The Bronx (IV)


I bought The Bronx’s self-titled debut back in 2004, and while I liked it, it wasn’t enough to make me buy their second record; and I’ve entirely ignored them since.  That was until I heard a track from their fourth record (named with a similar lack of effort to the second Unknown Mortal Orchestra album).  I not sure what happened between albums 1 and 4, but this is a big change.  The debut was a proper hardcore album with little in the way of melody or concession to palatability.  The Bronx (IV) is a mainstream rock record.  And all the better for it.  There are still some heavy elements, but this is a long way from the band’s metal/hardcore roots.  There’s significantly more in common here with Against Me! than with Biohazard.  The choruses are what make it, with virtually every track inviting a sing-along.  Unpretentiously great straight rock.  The brilliant ‘Pilot Light’ starts with the line, ‘I’m Coming Up for Air’ – The Bronx certainly have.

Sample track: ‘Youth Wasted’