13.

Melt Yourself Down
Melt Yourself Down


Brass-led, guitar-based, largely instrumental, manic dance music from London.  Without the superb brass section, it perhaps wouldn’t amount to all that much, but those horns give Melt Yourself Down with a very distinctive sound.  This is fast paced and aggressive, but not exactly ‘heavy’ music.  At times it comes across as what might be called ‘world music’ (whatever that means – I’ve never quite been sure), at least in terms of the central African style rhythms.  It’s the record that has most made me want to move my feet in 2013.  Melt Yourself Down are cool as hell; this is both weird and catchy stuff.  As such, it was quite sad to hear one of the tracks from this album underscoring a fajita advert.  That dropped them ever so slightly in my estimation, because this is a band that I thought of as being too cool for the advertising of generic Mexican food kits…

Sample track: ‘Fix My Life’